Monday, July 23, 2012

Luck's Fried Apples

I did a double-take on this week's entry when I saw it in the store.  Fried apples on their own are a bit odd, but fried apples in a can?  Fat free fried apples?  I'm no culinary expert, but doesn't frying something involve a little, y'know, fat?

But hey, I thought maybe there was some authentic southern magic to go with that authentic southern taste.  So even though the picture on the label doesn't make it look much different than apple pie filling I thought I would give it a try.

Price: $1.40

Preparation Time: None

I don't know how people in the south eat their fried apples, but I toasted up a frozen waffle and scooped on a portion.  I was a bit worried because the apples were translucent.  Is that what frying-without-fat does to an apple?  They tasted as awful as they looked -- the juice they were in was watery and they were completely lacking in flavor.  I finished the waffle -- I didn't want it to be sacrificed in vain -- but there's no way I'm going to finish the 2.3 servings left in the can. 

Notable Nutrition: Fat free, but that's not good for a fried food.

Verdict:  The people of the south should be authentically offended.  Ugh.  2/10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment